The Student Selection process for 2017 - 2018 begins with completing and submitting the updated forms that are linked below.
The official Student Selection Screenings begin in March, 2017.
NOTE: The Final Day for applying and screening to be considered for the 2017- 2018 TVMSC school year is Saturday, April 22nd!
There will not be any summer screenings for the upcoming school year as all available spaces will be filled after the April 22nd testing.
TVMSC offers two Orientation Nights for families who are considering TVMSC as an educational option for their child to attend. Orientation Nights provide an overview of the TVMSC 7 - 12 program and the Student Selection process, an opportunity to have questions addressed and an opportunity to visit with current TVMSC students and staff. Families will also have the opportunity to visit the classrooms.
The first Orientation Night is Thursday, March 2nd from 7:00 - 8:30 PM.
The final Orientation Night is Thursday, April 20th from 7:00 - 8:30 PM.
TVMSC does not provide tours or classroom visits to avoid disruptions to the educational process.
Current or Returning TVMSC students in good standing do not need to retest, but each current student's performance and conduct will be reviewed. Those current or returning students who miss the deadline for submitting the Application to Return will be put on a waiting list. The deadline for submitting the Application to Return will be February 17th, 2017. We ask all current students to complete one of the following Application to Return forms stating whether they intend to continue with TVMSC in the 2017-2018 school year.
Steps involved in the Student Selection Process for TVMSC:
- There will be two Student Selection Screening Days for applicants who wish to enter TVMSC for the 2017-2018 school year. These will begin on Saturday, March 4th, 2017. Screening will begin at 8:00 AM and will finish about 11:00 AM. To reserve a space for this screening day, please submit an ‘Intent to Test’ form (linked below) to TVMSC by e-mail or fax. The second and final Student Selection Screening Day will be held on Saturday, April 22nd, 2016. There is no advantage to taking an earlier or later screening day. All applicant portfolios will be held until late April and then will be reviewed at the same time at the end of April 2016. This information will be used to create the Student Applicant’s Portfolio. Please provide this information to Stacy.Rogers@boiseschools.org or by fax to (208) 854-6801.
- No results will be shared from the two screening dates until both screenings have been completed. Applicants will be brought into TVMSC based upon their overall ranking and based upon the contents of the portfolios. Students not selected from the two Screening Dates may be placed onto the Waiting List (listed according to their overall ranking) or they may be advised to wait a year and to reapply at that time.
- The Student Selection Committee will review the Applicant Portfolios for each of the applicants who participated on one of the two Student Selection Screening Days only once they have all of the required materials in the portfolios. Incomplete portfolios will not be given consideration. (TVMSC's Student Selection Committee needs to have the applicant screening test scores, copies of the last two years' report cards and the Teacher Recommendation Forms and Adult Advocate Recommendation Forms actually in the portfolio for the student to be considered).
- All applicants from the two Screening Days will be reviewed and considered at the same time in late April.
- For the 2017 - 2018 school year, it is anticipated that there will not be a Late Screening Date or a Summer Screening Date, as the available spaces will be filled from the March and April screenings and a Wait List of overflow applicants will be made.
- There will be two Open House/Orientation Nights for families who are interested in learning more about the TVMSC program as an option for their child(ren). Open House/Orientation Nights will be held on the Thursday evenings immediately preceding each of the two Student Selection Screening Dates ( March 4th and April 22nd) at Riverglen Jr High/TVMSC from 7:00 - 8:30 PM. This event provides an overview of the program and addresses many questions that families have when considering TVMSC as an educational option for their children. Families will be able to tour the classrooms and speak with current TVMSC students at these events.
- Individual tours, classroom visits or opportunities to shadow current students will not be available separate of the Orientation Nights in order to preserve the focus and integrity of our instructional programs throughout the Student Selection process. Typically, TVMSC will screen 250 - 300 applicants each spring. The requests to tour and visit separate of the Orientation Nights proved very disruptive to our classes.
- To reserve a space for your child at one of the Screening Days, please submit the Intent to Test form to TVMSC's office. (These updated forms are posted on this webpage starting in December 2016) Also fill out and submit the Student Data packet to the TVMSC office. This information will be used to create the Student Applicant’s Portfolio.Stacy.Rogers@boiseschools.org or by fax to (208) 854-6801.
- Distribute Teacher Recommendation Forms found in the Student Data Packet to the applicant's teachers during the current school year prior to screening for TVMSC. Information on these forms is confidential. Once the Teachers and Adult Advocates complete the recommendation forms, the documents should be turned in to their current school’s counselor no later than 2 weeks from testing so that counselors can have those documents sent to the TVMSC office prior to the meeting of the Student Selection Committee. If your family is applying from out-of-state, the forms may be mailed directly to TVMSC by the applicant's family or by the teachers.
- Placement testing for all applicants will be administered from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM on each of the two test dates at Riverglen Junior High School, 6801 N. Gary Lane, Boise. Submission of the Intent to Test forms to TVMSC's Office will reserve a space for applicants for one of these test dates. Applicants only need to attend one of the two dates. Space on each of the screening/test dates for Student Selection Screening is limited to the first 150 applicants for that date.
- Out-of-state applicants should attempt to attend one of the two screening dates (March or April) as it is anticipated that all spaces will be assigned to interested and qualified applicants from those two dates. Additionally, it is anticipated that there will be a significant Wait List for 7th and 8th cohort levels after selection of students is completed in April.
- Schools of incoming TVMSC 2017- 2018 students will be informed in May 2017 as to which students have been accepted into TVMSC for the upcoming 2017 - 2018 school year.
- Submit copies of your last 2 years of report cards, ISAT/SBAC scores, Teacher and Adult Recommendation Forms and other relevant documents to the TVMSC office. TVMSC, 6801 N. Gary Lane, Boise ID 83714
- Actual student selection will be conducted when the Student Selection Committee meets in the final week of April 2017.
- Only applicants who have all of the required forms submitted and testing completed will have their portfolios considered by the Student Selection Committee in April. Incomplete portfolios will be held until complete, but they may miss consideration by the Student Selection Committee in the April meeting.
- Notification of acceptance for the successful incoming students will occur in mid-May. Please be certain that the TVMSC office has correct, legible and up-to-date address and e-mail information for your family!
Please check the "About TVMSC" page for information about course prerequisites.
Criteria Used for Student Selection
- The most recent ISAT/SBAC scores or comparable standardized tests if this state assessment was not taken.
- TVMSC Placement Tests (mandatory, free of charge). Please note that these test results are for student selection purposes only and will not be distributed to parents or students.
- Academic record of the last 2 years and current semester, (report cards)
- Recommendations of Math, Science and English teachers (current) and an Adult Advocate (Parent, Counselor, Administrator, Coach, etc.)
- In some instances an interview may also be requested.
- IMPORTANT NOTE:
For students to enter TVMSC for the 7th Cohort (the lowest entry level of the Center), they need to have completed all levels of prealgebra so that they are fully prepared to enter the Center and take Integrated Algebra 1. This course is the first high school credit bearing mathematics course that students take within Boise School District. It begins their official GPA and it will appear on their high school graduation transcript.
Prior to being able to enter TVMSC and take Integrated Algebra 1, students will complete Honors Math 6 and then either 2 years of Accelerated Math 7 and Accelerated PreAlgebra 8 or they may opt to take one year of this same content in a very compacted form in the course called 'Compacted Math 7/8.' After either completing Compacted Math 7/8 or Accelerated PreAlgebra 8, they are ready to enter TVMSC and take the 7th cohort classes (and Accelerated Algebra 1 Integrated).
Boise School District does offer Compacted Math 7/8 in summer school each year but only for students who have already tested to enter TVMSC and have been accepted to join the program.
Note: There will be no exceptions to this requirement. Each school year, TVMSC has needed to exit students during semester 1 due to the gaps in their foundational understandings of Prealgebra and their struggles with the pacing, complexity and content of the Integrated Algebra 1 courses. In the best interest of each of our students, we require that all students entering TVMSC for 7th cohort will have completed all possible levels of Prealgebra prior to entering the Center.
What if the Application Deadline is Missed?
Documents received after the submission deadline of two weeks following testing will be added to the student portfolios but the students will be added to the waiting list pending a possible final Student Selection meeting, but this will only be for placing students onto a Waiting List. Waiting list applicants will be offered spaces that come available if successful applicants turn down their invitation to join TVMSC for 2017 - 2018.
The first step in the application process is to fill out and submit the Intent to Test and the Student Data forms once they are available in December 2016. These forms are due to TVMSC's office prior to each subsequent test date. The Intent to Test and Student Data Forms can also be submitted on the day of TVMSC's Orientation Nights on either March 2nd or April 20th. The only testing dates for the 2017-2018 school year will be the Saturday testing dates on March 4th, or April 22nd. Applicants need to identify one day of screening to attend.
The parents of applicants must submit the Intent to Test form completed, with a working e-mail address for sending out a confirmation.
Application Forms for 2017 - 2018
Notification of Decision
After completing the Student Selection Process (Participated on one of the screening days and submitted all required forms for the portfolio) students will be informed of the Selection Committee's decision with regard to the student's application in late-May 2017. Students will either be invited to join the program, be asked to complete a summer mathematics course to address any identified gaps in background, or will be asked to wait and address areas that could compromise their potential for success in the program.
Once invited to join TVMSC, please have your child submit the appropriate form below in order to reserve their space in TVMSC for the 2017-2018 school year. These forms are only to be completed once a student has been accepted. (These are old 2016 - 2017 forms...Do not submit)